AmaZulu and Gallants share the spoils

Marumo Gallants and AmaZulu played out to a goalless draw in the DStv Premiership at the New Peter Mokaba Stadium on Wednesday night. Usuthu head coach Romain Folz failed to pick up his first win since he touched down in South Africa, and to upset his former employers Gallants.
In the first ten minutes, the visitors were forcing the hosts to stay in their own half, with Folz’s side looking to get an early goal. In the tenth minute, Gallants were awarded a free-kick which was swung into the box by Lesiba Nku, and met Ismael Toure whose attempt was cleared off the line by Augustine Kwem.
The Limpopo outfit later started to settle into the game, launching attacks on Usuthu who were however solid at the back. In the 22nd minute, Thato Khiba found Celimpilo Ngema with a hard and low cross in the box, but the midfielder’s shot deflected and resulted in a corner-kick that was easily parried away by Veli Mothwa.
When the match reached the half hour mark, Gallants were enjoying more ball possession and exerting pressure, but the KwaZulu-Natal side stood firm. In the 34th minute, Mothwa made a terrific save after Lesiba Nku, who had been set up by Riyaaz Nell in the box, unleashed a thunderous shot.
Before half time, the home side had a golden chance to get the opener, when Katlego Otladisa brought down a teasing cross in the area, but the ball deflected off Mothwa before it was cleared off the line by Riaan Hanamub. The match went half-time with a 0-0 scoreline on the board.  
In the second stanza, Bahlabana ba Ntwa picked up where they left-off, dominating the ball possession and launching more attacks on Usuthu. After the introduction of Siphesihle Maduna in the midfield, the game started to become more evenly balanced.
In the 71st minute, Thembela Sikhakhane unleashed a through pass to George Maluleka whose chip went slightly wide. Five minutes later, Sibusiso Kumalo nearly broke the deadlock for Gallants but his header was cleared off the line by Mxolisi Kunene.
Eventually both teams ended up sharing the spoils in what was a full of action stalemate.

Rally Bwalya challenging Sizwe Mdlinzo on the ball