England forward Raheem Sterling is expected to be back in the England squad in Qatar today ahead of his countries World Cup quarter-finals against France on Saturday evening at Al Bayt stadium.
Sterling missed England’s 3-0 victory against Senegal in last 16 round. The 28-year-old flew back to England following a break-in that happened at his family home. British media stated that Sterling’s house was broken into by armed intruders while his family were inside the property on a Saturday evening.
Coach Gareth Southgate has been supportive of Sterling’s decision to be with his family in England.
“At the moment clearly the priority is for him to be with his family. We’re going to support that and leave him to have as much time as he needs,” he said.
However, it remains to be seen whether Gareth Southgate will start with Sterling due to his experience on a crucial match against 2018 World Cup winners or he will keep the same team that won against Senegal.
Kalvin Philips, Sterling’s team-mate says the incidents that happened to Sterling was concerning to the other players in the camp.
“I think once one player goes through it, there is always a thought in the back of your mind that it might happen to you or to somebody else,” he said.
“It isn’t a nice feeling when you are so far away from home and you’ve got family at home. There isn’t much we can do about it but Raheem feels good enough now to join back up with us and we’re very happy about that. We’re glad his family is well,” Phillips concluded.
Sterling, who has 81 international caps, scored once since the tournaments started when his country beat Iran 6-2 on group stages.
Also Read : Spain Announce Enrique Replacement